Reaction Post
Reading Reactions:
Anonymous:
According to the Anonymous Wikipedia page, anonymous is an organized hacker group that attacks international institutions (like governments and corporations). I had somewhat of a hard time deciding whether or not the group is villainous. On one hand, I don't agree with unethical hacking. But do understand the desire to hold these large entities accountable for their actions. With that being said, there are other ways to go about this. Their actions are always extreme. You can learn more about some of their actions above. They're pretty much cyber terrorists. I understand they want to spread awareness and get justice.
Snowden:
In his Wikipedia page, Edward Snowden is a labeled whistleblower for leaking information that was classified. The video linked above quickly describes more about Snowden. Despite the controversy, Snowden is not a villain. He did not leak the information to gain money, power, or fame. Snowden intended to help the American people. He wanted Americans to know what their government was doing behind closed doors. I admire his bravery and honesty. This attempt was not without mistakes and possibilities of endangerment for Americans from international powers.
Manning:
Chelsea Manning is another American whistleblower. She has leaked classified military documents through Wikileaks. I do not think Chelsea Manning is a hero. Chelsea risked many soldiers lives and our country to serve her beliefs. This may have seemed unselfish but was truly a risky act. It was shocking to learn that former President Obama completely pardoned her charges. This was shocking because of how many people she risked. I was also shocked because her crimes were similar to Snowden's but Snowden was not pardoned.
Assange:
Julian Assange is the founder of the well-known whistleblower site Wikileaks. You can learn more in the video above. Wikileaks hosts a number of leaked information. Including files from Guantanamo Bay, files from the Church of Scientology, and more. Personally, I think Julian Assange is not villainous. He wants to spread attention and awareness through obtaining documents. The files are confidential but I think he is using them for accountability. This differs from how anonymous is using documents. He is doing it for a purpose of greater good and not to cause chaos.
Interesting article in New Yorker on why Obama commuted (didn't pardon) Chelsea Manning. https://www.newyorker.com/news/amy-davidson/five-reasons-that-president-obama-was-right-to-commute-chelsea-mannings-sentence
ReplyDelete